Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Kylies blog hop November




This month I have decided to take part in Kylie Bertucci's Blog Hop. I'm super excited that you are here!!

You may have come to my blog through someone else or you may start here, either way, you can click on the names at the bottom of my post & this will take you to the next persons blog & their amazing project!!

In this (long) Blog Post, I've decided to show you another way to use our stunning Designer Papers, (DSP) in my post.

I just love how versatile the products are, to so many varied projects!! I'm showing off the bright & bubbly 'See A Silhouette' DSP.

I've always loved 3D items & this type of MDF craftwood allows itself to be decorated so easily.


Checking out all the edges of the MDF, I ensured there are no rough edges or broken parts to the item.


I then painted all of edges that will be exposed when it is finished. I went with white due the classic finish & it is one of the colours in the DSP that Im using.

The biggest frustration with this is to wait for the paint to dry!!

 A work in progress!

 I almost always give the edges 2 coats, but today I did 3, it simply gives a better finish. The top piece has only 2 coats & I could still see the colour of the wood through the paint.


I always make sure that any dribbles of the paint are either rubbed , or wiped away with a slightly damp cloth so that they are flat. If they aren't, then the DSP wont lay flat on the wood - the buckled look doesn't work for me!!!

Once the paint is completely dry & I mean completely, I turn it over and run the Tear 'n Tape all over the piece of wood. Including the small space.

I chose which design I wanted for each piece, keeping in mind that (1) it needs to be the correct way up when standing, (if there is a top & bottom to the DSP & (2) it shows off the correct side of DSP that I want!


Using a sharp craft I began to cut the shape of each peice, ensuring the DSP is facing the in-correct way when I do so. I want the correct side to be showing when I adhere it later.

I also made sure that I laid the wood down the correct way, some pieces are mirror images, therefore if I place them down the same, it wont fit together later.

You can choose to make a template of your pieces first, but I'm happy to cut directly around the wood, being very careful to not slip & cut the wrong part of the sheet of DSP.

This is where I have to concerntrate, so the design I want to see is the correct way up when adhered, too!! (Please cross your fingers for me!!)

(insert photo)

Don't run your DSP into the areas where another piece will go into the grooves, they are made precisely to fit into  the holes so won't allow for DSP or cardstock.


Where there are holes in the design, (good ones, right!!), I cut them out carefully & slowly.

Once I had completed this part, I was able to start building my little shelf.


Ta-dah!! This took about 2 2/1 hours to complete, not including drying time - what a lovely Sunday afternoon task!




It's creative, enjoyable & functional!!

Thanks for stopping by, Im so happy to have been apart of Kylie's blog hop!!






Cardstock: See A Silhouette Designer Paper
Accessories: Craft knife, Tear 'n Tape', MDF product of choice
Socials: https://linktr.ee/JoWeedonMelbourne

15 comments:

  1. What a cute project Jo Jo, what are you going to store on there? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question!! I was thinking my Stampin' Blends or other items that I need close by!! (Chocolate, maybe!! LOL!!)

      Delete
  2. Whoo Hoo Jo, a fab project. I love off the page stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do off the page stuff all the time!! Love, love, love them too!!Thanks for looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great project, Jo! The papers look fantastic on the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty bright, so using it on a project like this works so well!!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous use of DSP Jo! I'm very impressed with all your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I certainly hope they encourage someone to give it a go!!

      Delete
  6. Awww, thanks Deb!! Im such a visual learner, so I guess others are too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning project! Thanks for the inspiration Jo and thanks for taking part in our Demonstrator Training Blog Hop this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im in for the next one, too!! Im loving how it makes me want to create!!

      Delete
  8. What a clever girl! That is so pretty and inviting. I wouldn't want to cover it up. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, I still haven't used it - it just sits on my desk, all bright & colourful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts on my creations. I appreciate the time you've taken to write them.